Monday, July 8, 2013

Making Memories

First off, I'd like to apologize for taking so long to get this blog done. Since my last entry, I've had a milestone birthday, the kids finished the fifth grade, I've nursed my mom back from some complications following a somewhat routine surgery, and my precious grandma passed away after a valiant struggle with cancer.  So basically, I've had some ups and some downs these past few months, but hopefully now that the kids are on summer break, I should have some more free time to let you in on the goings-on of the Worsham clan.

So, as I type this, I'm poolside with a few other racer's wives at the kids favorite stop on the tour, Norwalk, OH. The kids to hang out at the water park all day and the wives get to work on our tans and catch up. This is actually the last stop on our three week trip with Del.


We started this journey more than two weeks ago when the girls and I packed up our 1-per-person suitcase allowance and our new Yorkie puppy, Zoe and flew to Boston to meet Del. We explored the city of Boston, Salem, took in a game at Fenway Park, and enjoyed our new family-favorite Cannoli's from Mike's Pastries. They are so good! if you're ever in the area, I highly recommend stopping in for their pastries!

The next stop was Portsmouth, NH, our home base for a few days while we raced at the inaugural race in Epping. The girls and I spent a few days exploring the little town of Portsmouth, and we definitely had our fill of fresh seafood. As soon as the event wrapped up, we were able to fit in a quick stop to Niagara Falls, and Erie, PA before we made the drive west to Michigan to attend Tammy Oberhofer's memorial service. I'm still amazed at how strong Jim O and his beautiful daughter Ashley are and how eloquently they spoke of their wife and mother. You can definitely tell how close the three of them were. I'm also so proud to be a part of the Kalitta Motorsports family. It was so touching to see how they all came together starting from the top with Connie Kalitta to the crew and support staff that were there.


Immediately following the service, we headed back east again for Joliet, then a few days in Chicago. The kids and I were able to negotiate a shopping trip on Michigan Avenue in exchange for getting Del some authentic Chicago deep dish pizza.

We've put some miles on our rented SUV, and the cargo area is definitely more jam packed than it was since the beginning of our trip, but we're "making memories" as Del and I like to remind ourselves. I'm pretty sure the kids have had enough of Del's and my singing along to our favorite 80's and 90's tunes, the puppy probably thinks she's been adopted by a gypsy family and the girls are tired of me nagging at them to get their noses out of their iPhones; to take in the scenery, the quaint little towns, the big city skylines and everything in between. This is what they'll remember of the summer's growing up in a racing family. This is making memories.

1 comment: