Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A New Chapter Begins!



The Other Connie is Connie Worsham, wife of DHL Toyota Camry Funny Car driver Del Worsham. Del competes in the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series for Kalitta Motorsports, owned by drag racing icon and pioneer Conrad “Connie” Kalitta.

A New Chapter Begins!

Well, we just finished up the start of the 2013 season at the Winternationals here in our hometown and I want to say how much I appreciate all of the positive feedback that I heard from so many fans who took the time to seek me out and tell me how excited they were to see Del back in the seat. The number one question that everyone asked was how I felt about the change, and my answer has always been the same... It’s somehow a little easier for me to watch him drive than it was to support him in his role as a Crew Chief.

Don’t get me wrong, I will support him in whatever decision he makes for himself and for the family as a whole, but when I met Del he had 8 years of driving under his belt. Even though I knew nothing about the sport of Drag Racing, I could see that he was a talented driver, felt that he had the respect of his peers, and fed off of his enthusiasm for his job. Fast-forward 13 years, 2 sponsors, 31 wins and 1 Top Fuel Championship later, he tells me that he wants to try his hand at tuning and that an opportunity has presented itself that he feels is too good to pass up.

So, yes, if you’ve heard Del tell the story, it’s true... I did cry. And so did our girls. We never knew Del to be anything but a driver, so it was a big adjustment for us all. It’s very different watching your husband, strapped in behind the wheel and having confidence in his driving abilities than standing beside him watching him send someone down the track. My concern was always for Alexis’ safety first, then of course, for the win.

So there I was, finally adjusting to his new role. We’re finishing up the 2012 season, Alexis, Del and the whole crew have wrapped up a successful year together, and bam! we’re told that the Kalitta organization is making some changes and they want him behind the wheel of a Funny Car again. You guessed it, I cried (again)! I had come to love the team, the crew, Alexis and her family and here we are, making changes once again.

Fortunately for me, the Kalitta organization is truly a family. I’m really excited about this year and what’s in store for us. They have put together a talented group of guys (and girls) that work really well together in every capacity. I’m super excited that Del gets to compete as a driver for that coveted Funny Car Championship.

So, with this new blog, I’ll keep you posted on the goings-on of our family life at and away from the track. You can also follow me on twitter:  @connieworsham or if you have any questions, e-mail me : the_other_connie@live.com

No comments:

Post a Comment